Sy-Klone often gets many questions about the use of the Series 9000 in snow conditions. Most OEMs will tell you that the Series 9000 is the ONLY precleaner to use in snow conditions because it doesn’t suffer the same fate as the metal competitors.
The principal reason for taking snow out of the air stream prior to it reaching the air filter housing or paper air filter is that, ultimately, snow is frozen water.
- The warmth of the engine raises the temperature in the air filter canister above freezing.
- The snow that has entered the filter housing melts and wets the air filter.
- When the temperature in the air filter canister drops below freezing the wet air filter media freezes
- The frozen water molecules expand and cut off air flow through the filter
- The engine is starved of air due to ice blocked filter and may ultimately stop running.
- At this point, the operator would need to remove the frozen filter and insert a dry filter, possibly while in conditions hazardous to the operator’s safety.
Snow comes in many different forms and quantities. Humidity plays a big part in the way snow reacts when it travels through the air. High humidity produces wet snow which has more mass than dry powdered snow. Heavier wet snow takes more energy to separate from the air stream. Dryer snow requires less energy to remove from the air stream because it has less mass.
This was filmed during -22°F weather during heavy snow.
Ejective vs. Ingestive Precleaner Technologies
Precleaners are alike in that they seek to remove airborne debris from the air stream prior to the air getting to the filter. The technology that is utilized to accomplish this task, however, is quite different from precleaner to precleaner. There are two major classifications of precleaners, Ejective and Ingestive.
- Ejective precleaners send the debris back out into the atmosphere, usually through an ejection slot or port. The debris does not accumulate inside the body of the precleaner. The Series 9000 is an ejective precleaner and is self-cleaning and routine maintenance free.
- Ingestive precleaners take the debris into themselves and try to isolate it from the airstream. Ingestive precleaners require maintenance as they need to be emptied or replaced as they fill and lose precleaning ability.