|Sy-Klone International is confident that its products, when used as intended, pose no significant risk of exposure to any harmful chemicals. However, in an abundance of caution, Sy-Klone has elected to include the statutory warning allowed by California law.
"Cancer and Reproductive harm," is not what you expect to see when you purchase a cab filtration system from Sy-Klone International. You may even find it alarming. However, we have information to explain why you are now seeing these labels on your Sy-Klone products.
Sy-Klone is a Tier-1 supplier to many of the largest OEMs in the world, creating many of the leading products for engine and cab filtration. In the creation of these products, it is not uncommon that products are in a factory that might use chemicals for production purposes, such as to grease a mold for ease of release. Because any one of these chemicals could possibly be found in a growing list produced by Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) in California, we must now label our products for compliance with Proposition 65.
What is Proposition 65:
A California statute, commonly known as Prop 65, requires manufacturers to provide a "clear and reasonable" warning before exposing persons, consumers, employees or the general public to chemicals that are known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defect or other reproductive harm when the manufacturer's product is used as intended. The list of chemicals presently contains over eight hundred chemicals and is constantly changing and expanding. ["Listed Chemicals" available at www.p65warnings.ca.gov]. Although a manufacturer is not required to provide a Prop 65 warning on its products, that manufacturer may be placed in the position of defending litigation in California if its products happen to be sold in California and contain one of the 800+ Listed Chemicals, Sy-Klone has decided to label all products.
Here is a quick list of Prop 65 details:
- If you sell products into California, you must label those products with a warning if your product possibly contains one of 800+ chemicals.
- Businesses who defy Prop. 65 can face fines up to $2,500 per violation per day.
- Just because there is a warning, doesn't mean there is a hazard. A chemical only has to be present, regardless of how small the amount, to require labeling.
- Sy-Klone uses many sub-assemblies and could have variations in raw material suppliers. It is not financially possible for us to test and re-test for the 850+ chemicals on the California Proposition 65 warning list, a list that continues to grow every year.
- In no way do we believe that Sy-Klone products could cause cancer or birth defects.
If you have any questions about our products and their production, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
*The exact wording of the warning may vary but shall never have less information.
The label illustrated is an example of the notification now found on all Sy-Klone products and boxes.